Greenlee School trivia: Did you know ...
Blair Converse, who chaired the journalism department from 1927 to 1939,
taught the first course in radio writing in 1936. The radio news sequence
was added in 1939.
Under K.R. Marvin’s leadership from 1945 to 1962, a four-year curriculum
in science communication journalism was adopted in 1945. And a program
leading to a master’s degree in technical journalism was approved
A forebearer to the Iowa State Daily was the Clipper. A group of students
introduced the news sheet in the spring of 1890 on their own initiative
and without the support or sanction of college officials.
The first issue of the Iowa Agricultural College Student, which was launched
in 1890, sold for 50 cents per term or 10 cents a copy. It came out every
The former Press Building was named Hamilton Hall in 1984 after Carl
Hamilton, who chaired the Department of Technical Journalism from 1962-65.
He was also a journalist and Iowa State administrator who headed the
Iowa State University Press Board. Hamilton died in 1991.
Advertising studies evolved from an emphasis
area to a major in 1991.
The journalism department was named the
Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication after a $9 million gift
from alumni Robert and Diane Greenlee of Boulder,
The Greenlees’ gift is the largest ever to ISU’s
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
The “school” designation denotes a
professional program that
has achieved a certain size and scope. The designation carries a level
of prestige that helps universities attract endowed professorships and
research funds; recruit top faculty, undergraduate students and graduate
students; expand and enhance curriculum; and facilitate fundraising.
Journalism education at Iowa State began in1905,
and the program has held accreditation continuously since 1948 when the
national accreditation process began.
It is the only journalism program in Iowa with a 50-year record of accreditation.
In 1989, the program was strengthened in
response to an Iowa Board of Regents consultant’s report on duplication
at the state universities. The traditional journalism and mass communication
program was combined
with the telecommunicative arts program to form a broad-based program
spanning all media. In 1996, the department was further expanded with
the addition of the Iowa State’s program in communication studies,
including intercultural organizational communication. Communication Studies
left the Greenlee School in 2004.